New Guy in NH

Greetings all, I'm glad to have landed here.

My Carver Journey began in the mid 80's when I acquired a set of Bose 901 series II speakers. Anyone that owned them knows how inefficient they were. I was envious of my brother who was driving his Bose with that Beast 1801 Power Amp so I took the jump and purchased a new Carver M500t and C-2 pre amp. Needless to say, It was a great choice.
 Years later I went on to purchase a TFM-42 and C1. I also purchased a Carver Tuner. As the years passed, I don't know how but all that equipment is gone.

My current system consists of a Marantz 5008 receiver and some old but great Klipsch KG 4.5s which I use for home theater.  And the BEST news is, I just bought a M1.0t!!! Plan is to have the 1.0t sent out for MKII mods and use it to to drive my front speakers using my Marantz pre out, then purchase another Carver amp (probably an M500), a pre amp,and turntable strictly for 2 channel use. Yes, I'm back to collecting old vinyl as well, the very things I once threw away. Strange how that all works. Big Grin
  • Thank You 3

Howdy Brian and welcome to the forum. It's great to have you on board.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Please post some photos of your toys so we don't have to beg you for them. emwink.gif

FYI: Some Bose amps are actually rebranded Carvers though I believe the 90 pound 1801 was a BGW design.

Welcome, Brian!  

You may also want to consider getting a C-1 or C-11 preamp and having the BillD mod done for one heck of a great preamp for vinyl.  

• Community Admin
Another welcome from the central Midwest...

Need pics.  Wondering if you have a pic of your original system from the 80's ?   No pressure, and I'm not really serious.  But pics of your current setup would be very cool to share.

Greetings all, I'm glad to have landed here.

My Carver Journey began in the mid 80's when I acquired a set of Bose 901 series II speakers. Anyone that owned them knows how inefficient they were. I was envious of my brother who was driving his Bose with that Beast 1801 Power Amp so I took the jump and purchased a new Carver M500t and C-2 pre amp. Needless to say, It was a great choice.
 Years later I went on to purchase a TFM-42 and C1. I also purchased a Carver Tuner. As the years passed, I don't know how but all that equipment is gone.

My current system consists of a Marantz 5008 receiver and some old but great Klipsch KG 4.5s which I use for home theater.  And the BEST news is, I just bought a M1.0t!!! Plan is to have the 1.0t sent out for MKII mods and use it to to drive my front speakers using my Marantz pre out, then purchase another Carver amp (probably an M500), a pre amp,and turntable strictly for 2 channel use. Yes, I'm back to collecting old vinyl as well, the very things I once threw away. Strange how that all works. Big Grin

Brian, we LOVE hearing how folks get into this particular hobby (maybe obsession is a better word).  Thank you so much for posting that.  What a great system you've got going on there....and with plans for MKII mods no less!

I'm a big Marantz receiver fan as well and have some vintage Bose 601 Series III as surrounds.  We think alike on much the same level as I have a small vinyl collection as well.  You will fit right in here my friend.

Hope you stay awhile....and welcome aboard the Carver Express!!!

Related image

901s were the"irresistible perfume" of (unsuspected) audiophilia. That & Dynaco A-25s. After hearing 901s in a college dorm room, then at an audio purveyor demo, not long after graduation I saved for a Bose receiver plus 501s, later with trade-in affordance 901s Mk IV,  pressed into service, for apartment parties Party!.  Very fond memories of that time, the Bose gear. Welcome to the forum stick around.