CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: The Flaming Lips "Transmissions from the satellite heart"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages123>»
Bi-wired AOS's...
elgrauOffline
#1 Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:54:33 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

In "honor" of the Nordosts that I am acquiring from Dreamer (that are bi-wire), I'm putting this capability in the spherical speakers I'm building. Toggle switch (seen on the LF terminals) is used to toggle between "shotgun mode" and "bi-wire" mode (if "shotgun" then all speakers powered thru the LF terminals; if "bi-wire", then LF thru one set of terminals and HF thru the other set:
elgrau attached the following image(s):
elgrau attached the following image(s): jsw_img_3317.jpg
elgrau attached the following image(s): jsw_img_3318.jpg
Common sources: 300 disk changer/reader with optical link to EnTech 205.2 DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 1M IC's from EnTech to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/tuner (with phono amp).
Family Room: AudioQuest King Cobra 1M IC's from Adcom preamp to TFM-42. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to Epicure (EPI) 1000 towers.
Living Room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room Adcom preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2. Nordost Solar Wind 6M wires to bi-wired "AOS" (Audio Orb SpeakersTM) 28" Dia. x 1.0"/1.5" thick MDF shell spherical speakers each using six 6.5" EPI woofers and eight 1" EPI inverted dome tweeters symmetrically arranged around the sphere's surface. Surrond Sound: AV-705x five channel amp (center, rears), TFM-42 (fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR-150 Receiver to M1.0t to EPI 400 speakers.
1 user thanked elgrau for this useful post.
RichP714 on 6/5/2010(UTC)
Sponsor

maddmaxxxOffline
#2 Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:38:30 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
maddmaxxx

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingMusic: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 4 times

-dr EL; what binders are those ???
-'dont BAN me BRO'

-Silver 9T's & Silvers mk4's

-kuul
elgrauOffline
#3 Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:02:13 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Just some generics I got at J&K Electronics for $6 apiece. Will post some internal pics soon as I get the shell done and some driver holes cut....12 ga from these binders to 98.6% oxygen free copper |:)| terminal strips (that branch out the juice to each of the fourteen drivers (14 ga copper wire to each woofer; 16 ga to the tweeters and thru the Dayton 10 uf 250V x-over filter caps (made from hemp....:ddd ). Original EPI 400's I have use probably 16 ga wire internally throughout.....and a bundle of smaller 50V x-over caps! So even though I'm doing it on the cheap (internal wiring and binders), still much better then the OEM's from EPI.
Common sources: 300 disk changer/reader with optical link to EnTech 205.2 DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 1M IC's from EnTech to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/tuner (with phono amp).
Family Room: AudioQuest King Cobra 1M IC's from Adcom preamp to TFM-42. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to Epicure (EPI) 1000 towers.
Living Room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room Adcom preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2. Nordost Solar Wind 6M wires to bi-wired "AOS" (Audio Orb SpeakersTM) 28" Dia. x 1.0"/1.5" thick MDF shell spherical speakers each using six 6.5" EPI woofers and eight 1" EPI inverted dome tweeters symmetrically arranged around the sphere's surface. Surrond Sound: AV-705x five channel amp (center, rears), TFM-42 (fronts).
elgrauOffline
#4 Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:18:42 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Here's view from inside...plus outside with a few of the driver cutouts made (lots of sawdust made this weekend! getting close to done...will be a long time before I do another "project"! :dd ), plus pic of a finished stand (other one still needs to be finished). I chose a red stain for the mahogany to contrast with the silver finish of the speakers.

Question: this new way of making a MDF spherical shell is a lot easier than the old way I used that involves cutting out "layers" and glueing the layers together. But should I plane off the "ridges" and make a smooth spherical shell or leave these "ridges" and thus the "disco ball" look? Probably will "smooth it out" just so it matches the first one, but just curious what others think might look best. Accoustically, I doubt if any differences.
elgrau attached the following image(s):
elgrau attached the following image(s): jsw_img_3320.jpg
elgrau attached the following image(s): jsw_img_3323.jpg
elgrau attached the following image(s): jsw_img_3319.jpg
TNRabbitOffline
#5 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 1:24:03 AM(UTC)

TNRabbit

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system
Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 247 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 165 times

I thought you were going to suspend them?
TNRabbit

My 5.1 & 2 Channel System:
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400~7 Amplifier
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter
Sony Multi-Disc Player (SACD/DVD-A)
Active bi-amping via Ashly crossover & 2 Rane PEQ-15 Parametric EQs
Carver AL-III Main Speakers
Sunfire CRS-3C Center Speaker
Sunfire CRS-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
"elgrau" wrote:
"You're a freak'in genius Herr Rabbit!"

"martin1970" wrote:
"Left to his own devices, Bob would probably build something that looked like a turd and sounded like the breath of angels."
elgrauOffline
#6 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 10:08:41 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Herr Rabbit,
From 1/23/09 post:

"I'll post some pics soon of the one I have completed on it's new "stand". I was going to hang them from the ceiling but elected to go with stands for several reasons (portability, wife "issues" about big silver globes hanging from LR ceiling, etc), but also so I can easily experiment with their orientation (driver orientation wise with respect to the room walls, etc)."

read: "wife issues".....plus some other rationalizations as to why I didn't REALLY want to do it anyway :-s

add: also, I'd either need ~36' speaker wire (instead of 18') if I hung them from ceiling or would have to put the power amp in the attic (neither of these options is practical; hence the stands).
RichP714Offline
#7 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 10:40:31 AM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 528 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 396 times

The stand looks great....can't wait to hear what you think
Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

TNRabbitOffline
#8 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 10:44:40 AM(UTC)

TNRabbit

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system
Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 247 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 165 times

I'd be very interested in hearing them; but all I can imagine is what a freaking nightmare you're going to have with reflections all over the damn place....

:-"
TNRabbit

My 5.1 & 2 Channel System:
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400~7 Amplifier
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter
Sony Multi-Disc Player (SACD/DVD-A)
Active bi-amping via Ashly crossover & 2 Rane PEQ-15 Parametric EQs
Carver AL-III Main Speakers
Sunfire CRS-3C Center Speaker
Sunfire CRS-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
"elgrau" wrote:
"You're a freak'in genius Herr Rabbit!"

"martin1970" wrote:
"Left to his own devices, Bob would probably build something that looked like a turd and sounded like the breath of angels."
PDROffline
#9 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 2:02:30 PM(UTC)

PDR

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Featured: systemDIY: Black Pearl device for multiple award; master builder

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 25 times

Nice Job!.........A ton of cutting and fitting......very impressive=d> =d>

Perry
elgrauOffline
#10 Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 2:40:30 PM(UTC)

Groups:

The "cutting/fitting" is a lot easier than it looks. Basically four different pieces: 5.5" x 5.5" with 11.25 deg. bevel on all 4 sides (very easier to "mass produce" with radial arm or table saw); this same basic piece with tapered edges at a different bevel angle on these tapered sides (16 pieces); eight "pointy" pieces at the two "top" and "bottom" vertices; and 16 tapered pieces that are 4" x 6.25" and tapered to a point. ~80 pieces start out as the simple 5.5" x 5.5" square piece. I made a "mirror image" dowel template so that these square piece joints are strengthened with HW dowels (on the "circumferencial" joints). The tapered pieces next to the four "middle" location woofer cutouts are joined to the adjacent pieces (on two adjacent sides) using HW biscuts. These help hold everything together as the woofer cutouts remove a lot of material at these locations. I could have used biscuts to join the eight "pointy" pieces at the upper and lower woofer cutouts, but this proved to be a little too difficult alignment wise; hence the metal corner pieces used to help tie these pieces together (in addition to glue on the joints as well of course) shown in the inside view pic...
Rss Feed Atom Feed